Updated: Nov 20, 2022
Work is a slice of your life. It's not the entire pizza. - Jacquelyne Mitchard
How much time do you spend working, thinking about work, going to work, and going home again? For many people, it's a lot of time.
With so much time and effort invested in work, many people find it hard to achieve a healthy balance between work and life.
Over time, the long hours we devote to our careers often hurt more than they help us. Filling your life with long days of work over a really long period of time leads to burnout, and burnout makes you resentful.
While this lack of balance makes you resentful, it also makes you unhappy over the long term.
Before we move on to the work-life balance quotes, let's take a closer look at what finding balance in life really means.
What is Balance in Life?
Balance may look different to different people, but ultimately, balance is about prioritizing the right things in your life and sticking with those priorities.
Prioritizing the right things in life often requires promising yourself that you will never get so busy in one area of life that other areas of your life fall apart. This is balanced living.
When you have balance in your life, one part of your life doesn't take time away from another part. You don't feel torn, for example, between work and your personal life.
A commitment to achieving balance in your life is the first step in making decisions that empower you to live a happy, healthy, and meaningful life.
28 Balance Work and Life Quotes
This collection of work and life balance quotes is broken down into four categories:
Let's get started.
Work-Life Balance Quotes About Time
These quotes will inspire you to rethink how you spend the hours and days of your life:
1. Most of us spend too much time on what is urgent and not enough time on what is important. - Stephen Covey
2. Balance is not better time management, but better boundary management. Balance means making choices and enjoying those choices. - Betsy Jacobson
3. Balance is paying attention to the things that matter the most and the time that they matter most. - Kolette Hall
4. We think, mistakenly, that success is the result of the amount of time we put in at work, instead of the quality of time we put in. - Arianna Huffington
4. The more often you decline invitations to spend time with friends or family because you are too busy with either work or other activities, the more you should realize that your life is not in balance. - Byron Pulsifer
6. Invest in your work-life balance. Time with friends and family is as important as time at work. Getting that out of balance is a path toward unhappiness. - Stephen Gillett
7. Women, in particular, need to keep an eye on their physical and mental health, because if we’re scurrying to and from appointments and errands, we don’t have a lot of time to take care of ourselves. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to-do’ list. - Michelle Obama
Work-Life Balance Quotes About Work
These quotes will inspire you to rethink the importance of your career in your life, especially when that career is creating problems in other areas of your life:
8. You can't truly be considered successful in your business if your home life is in shambles. - Zig Ziglar
9. You can't do a good job if your job is all you do. - Katie Thurmes
10. You don't have to make yourself miserable to be successful. - Andrew Wilkinson
11. There are many successful businesses but few successful families... Without healthy relationships with family and friends, a person doesn't truly have personal freedom. His life is out of balance. - Benjamin P. Hardy
12. You will never feel truly satisfied by work until you are satisfied by life. - Heather Schuck
13. Trying to do it all and expecting that it all can be done exactly right is a recipe for disappointment. Perfection is the enemy. - Sheryl Sandberg
Work-Life Balance Quotes About Life
The quotes will inspire you to reconsider what quality of life is really about:
14. You can’t have everything you want, but you can have the things that really matter to you. - Marissa Mayer
15. We have overstretched our personal boundaries and forgotten that true happiness comes from living an authentic life fueled with a sense of purpose and balance. - Kathleen Hall
16. Never get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life. - Dolly Parton
17. It's all about quality of life and finding a happy balance between work and friends and family. - Philip Green
18. ...Work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls - family, health, friends, integrity - are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, perhaps even shattered. - Gary Keller
19. Don't confuse having a career with having a life. - Hillary Clinton
20. A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night. - Marilyn Monroe
21. Do less, be more. - Elizabeth Grace Saunders
22. Happiness comes from living as you need to, as you want to. As your inner voice tells you to. Happiness comes from being who you actually are instead of who you think you are supposed to be. - Shonda Rhimes
Work-Life Balance Quotes About Family
These quotes will make you stop and think about the importance of family in your life:
23. Never forget. Your family should always have priority over your work. - Mary Kay Ash
24. Family first. Work next. Because there's no replacement for a family lost. - Unknown
25. Love those close to you: Failure of your company is not failure in life. Failure in your relationship is. - Ev Williams
26. If you want to change the world, go home and love your family. - Mother Teresa
27. When in doubt, choose the kids. There will be plenty of time later to choose work. - Anna Quindlen
28. The most important work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home. - Unknown
Three Ways to Prioritize Life Outside of Work
Most people will never feel truly satisfied if work is the only thing they have in their life. So, what do you do?
I believe the answer is to prioritize balance in your life. You make family, health, and friends a bigger part of your life.
Prioritizing life outside of work requires three things:
Rethinking what healthy boundaries are for you,
Opting for different choices in how you spend and manage your time; and
Spending time doing the things you've decided to prioritize in your life.
If you can conquer these three things, you will be well on your well to building a more rewarding and meaningful life.
Work-life balance requires making choices about what you do and how much you do those things.
Work-life balance also means setting boundaries so that you don't get so busy making a living that you let the rest of your life fall away.
When you set better boundaries in life, it's easier to figure out how to spend your time. Making those choices is easier because you know yourself well enough to make decisions that are good for your personal life, not just your work life.
Setting better boundaries helps you feel more satisfied with all aspects of your life. And experiencing that satisfaction is an outcome worth working toward.
You might also like...