25 Simple Habits to Bring Happiness into Your Life
Updated: Sep 9, 2021
We can cultivate happiness by the actions we take. These 25 simple habits will lead you toward a happier life.
While there are things in life that we can’t control - like the polar vortex and our boss’s micromanaging personality - there are many things we can control, including the things we do to be happier and healthier.
There are simple actions we can take every day to feel better emotionally and physically.
The more often we take those actions, the more likely they are to turn into habits - health and happiness habits.
So instead of waiting and hoping happiness and good health will find you, seek out happiness and good health by giving these simple suggestions a try.
25 Happiness Habits
1. Interrupt a negative thought with a positive one. Stop the cycle of negativity.
2. Spend 10 minutes three times a week learning something new. Whether you learn something for work or take up a new hobby, creating a learning habit helps make life more interesting.
3. Stop comparing any aspect of your life to anyone else’s. Live your life as it is, rather than viewing that trying to rate it using someone else’s scale.
4. Create a happiness jar. Every day write down something good that happened to you and drop it in the jar.
Unless you’re one of those people who thrive on working 24/7, figure out what you need to do, think, or feel to stop working when the workday is over.
5. Learn how to let go of work. Unless you’re one of those people who thrive on working 24/7, figure out what you need to do, think, or feel to stop working when the workday is over.
6. Fill your plate with colorful food. Eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables is good for you.
7. Quit the negative self-talk. Know the difference between self-reflection that helps you grow and negative self-talk that tears you down.
8. Move your body. Dance, walk, bike, surf, hike - it doesn’t matter - just get your body moving.
9. Pay someone a (sincere) compliment. You’ll both feel better.
10. Enjoy 15 minutes of sunshine. Protect your skin while you soak up some rays.
11. Drink water every day. Your body is 60% water, so it needs you to drink water to function at its best.
12. Spend 10 minutes a day cleaning up your house. Just 10 minutes a day reduces weekend cleaning.
Don’t assign importance to something that doesn’t matter.
13. Purge your to-do list of unimportant tasks. Don’t assign importance to something that doesn’t matter.
14. Keep a list on your phone of things you’re grateful for. When you’re having a bad day, looking at the list will give you some perspective.
15. Laugh at least once a day. It doesn’t matter where you find your material - on tv or from your own life experiences - just laugh.
16. Make yourself smile when you’re having a bad moment. Even when you have to force it, smiling helps you feel a little better.
17. Read for 20 minutes. Find something interesting to read and immerse yourself in it for the next 20 minutes.
18. Mute the negativity in your social media accounts. Seek out the good stuff, like The Cute Emergency Twitter feed, and avoid the negativity.
19. Look for ways to be optimistic when bad things happen. Don’t make a bad situation worse by focusing only on the worst.
20. Listen to your favorite music. Music releases a neurotransmitter called dopamine in your brain, which makes you feel happy.
21. Make hard decisions when feel rested and relaxed. Don’t make hard decisions more difficult by trying to make them when you’re tired, upset, angry, or stressed.
22. Create a plan today to make tomorrow less stressful. From what you’re going to wear to what you’re going to eat, create a plan tonight and you’ll have fewer things to worry about.
Accept that there will be difficulties in life and work toward finding peace in the midst of these difficult situations.
23. Accept that happiness will fluctuate because sometimes life is hard. Accept that there will be difficulties in life and work toward finding peace in the midst of these difficult situations.
24. Get enough sleep every single night. That’s 7-9 hours a night for most people.
25. Spend more time with the people you care about. These experiences create memories you can use to call up happiness in the future.
We have the power to do small things that bring great happiness into our lives and improve our health. Do those things repeatedly, and they become health and happiness habits, making it even easier to bring positive change into your life.
Which of these health and happiness habits appeal the most to you? Email me at anita (@) simplelife365.com and let me know. I would love to hear from you.
NEXT: You might enjoy reading 14 Journal Prompts to Start Your Day With a Smile.